Search This Blog

Saturday, April 15, 2017

How To Preserve a Large Amount of Potatoes



So, the other day I got an awesome deal on russet potatoes.  The grocery store was clearing out their older stock to make room for the new stock for the large supply they brought in for the big Easter sale.

They put 10# bags on sale for .69 cents!!  I know right!  That is unheard of!

Well, I ended up with 50# of potatoes.  I now what your thinking.  What are you going to do with all those potatoes?!  

Well, first of all I have a large family with 4 growing kids that eat a LOT.
And I do mean A LOT!  Sometimes that all I think they do is eat..  Secondly, I have people over fairly often.  But, even then we still could'nt go through 50#
 of potatoes without at least some of them going bad.

SO WHAT TO DO??

Well what I am going to do is take about 20# of them and turn them into frozen hash brown.  To do this all you have to is shread them and blanche them in salted boiling water for a few minutes.  Then rinse them in cold water to stop the cooking process.  It is important to do this because if you don't the potatoes will turn brown due to oxidation.  Then, squeeze them dry and lay them out on a sheet pan and freeze.  After they are frozen put them into freezer bags and put back into the freezer.

This will save a ton of money and be convenient.  I am going to use mine when we go camping this summer.

There are many other things you could make like your own fries or stew potatoes, etc.



Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment