Search This Blog

Monday, April 10, 2017

11 Ways I Save Money at the Grocery Store

We all have to eat


Most of us have to get at least the majority of it at the grocery store.

This can either be a pleasant experience or a terrible experience.  Unless your one of those blessed people who don't have to worry about money and can buy whatever you want then this post if for you.

Grocery shopping doesn't have to break the bank.  

Even if your like me and you have 4 kids eating you out of house and home.  I think all my 3 year old does is eat.  

I'm going to share with you how I feed all these growing kids and a husband that works hard and myself without having to go totally broke.



1. Most of the time I buy generic. A lot of store brands are just repackaged name brands anyways.


2. Don't shop at eye level. This is where they put the most expensive groceries. Look up and look down.


3. Don't shop with your kids if you can help it. They are going to bug you for stuff and all its going to do is make you angry. Then you will lose your temper with your kids and look like a jerk.


4. Don't shop when your hungry!! This should be self explanatory.


5. Remember that just because you would like to have it doesn't mean you need it.


6. Put the real food in your cart first. Fruit, vegetables, rice, beans, meat, dairy.


7. Then if you have some money left you can get those Oreo's.


8. Buy ingredients, not prepared meals. For that $3 you just spent on a can of soup you can buy a bag of frozen vegetables, a bag of barley, and some bullion. You can make a giant pot of vegetable barley soup and still have ingredients left over. That will definitely feed more than a single can of soup.


9. Don't be afraid to shop the reduced rack. I get great stuff off of our reduced produce rack all the time. It's not always stuff that's going bad. Sometimes they have overstock and they mark it down. And even if there are a couple of bad berries or one soft orange you can pick them out and then wash the fruit in a solution of vinegar and water. Good as new. Plus you can freeze what your not going to get through before it goes bad.


10. I also like to look for markdowns in the meat department. Often times I can find manager specials or 50% of coupons. Then I buy these up and put them in the freezer. The freezer will extend their life and I don't have to pay full price.


11. Buy in bulk. I like to wait for my local grocery stores to have their case sales and then I stock up on my canned goods and snacks. It's really great if you can score some coupons to use at the same time. That makes me really happy!






Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment